640 pixels wide

spare

    


Home | MyBrainBlog | Ideas | Insight | Inspiration | Innovation | ThinkLinks | DTIG



Saturday, September 03, 2005

The Reasons Y
I really enjoyed this article from Poynter.org on the personality traits of Gen-Y workers.

My younger brother, Joe, could be the poster child for Gen-Y. I think those are the qualities I most admire in the guy. Fortunately, I've had the benefit of Joe as a role model (I call it getting in touch with my "Inner-Joe", or increasing my "Joe-ness") and I think I've managed to adopt a few of my most personally coveted traits in the article:

They are accustomed to quality as consumers.
Those two-career families had disposable income, and the kids became discerning customers, brand- and quality-conscious.

They are tech-savvy.
Technology has always been a part of their lives. They are far better at using it than most of their bosses, and do so without fear.

They are accustomed to immediacy.
Cell phones, e-mail, instant messaging, faxes, overnight mail, digital cameras and microwave ovens have all reduced the waiting time in their lives.


They are tolerant of differences.
They grew up in schools that mainstreamed students with disabilities, strove for racial and ethnic diversity, had Gay-Straight Alliance clubs and women in leadership roles.


They work around, not against, authority.
Unlike the young people of the '60s who rebelled against authority, the Gen-Y approach when opposing authority is more passive than aggressive.


Read the entire article HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


470 170


DON the IDEA GUY

The Idea Department | PO Box 26392 | Columbus, OH 43226 | Phone/Fax (614) 340-7910
me@dontheideaguy.com