640 pixels wide

spare

    


Home | MyBrainBlog | Ideas | Insight | Inspiration | Innovation | ThinkLinks | DTIG



Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Reason Why
I wrote a few days ago that the link to my blog will be changing from its existing home at a "dontheideaguy.blogspot.com" address to the much cooler www.MyBrainBlog.com (I'll wait here while you go update your links...)

My reasoning was that more people now find me through my blog than my website. I figured it was simply because more folks and friends were linking me from THEIR blogs and using the BrainBlog address. While that may be true, John Jantsch at Duct Tape Marketing provides a few more reasons why the BrainBlog gets better traffic than DonTheIdeaGuy.com.

I've shared a few of the reasons below (the ones that made lightbulbs appear over my head), but you'll have to read the article for the rest of the valuable advice.

A few excerpts from today's Duct Tape Marketing Newsletter...
---
...search engines are in love with real blogs. By real blogs I mean blogs that are set-up and run by businesses that offer useful content on them... When you understand a little about how blog software works you get a better understanding about why search engines love blogs.

Lots of Pages
Each blog entry is shown in chronological order on a blog’s homepage but, each entry is in reality its own web page, with its own unique URL and title. So, an active blogger can create hundreds of keyword rich web pages in a matter of months.

Wake Up Call
Because search engines love changing content, they are ever ready to visit a site when it is updated. One feature unique to blog software is something called a pinging. Basically, what you are doing is sending out a message to various blog directories to come and visit you site because it has been updated. Once a search engine has located your site, this is like a personal invitation to come back and get the new stuff.

RSS Directories
Blogs also have a built in distribution method known as RSS. This allows you to push your updated content out to people who subscribe through an RSS reader such as Bloglines or FeedDemon as well as Yahoo and MSN. This ability allows you to communicate directly with subscribers but it can also help get your main site noticed and indexed by the major search engines. Yahoo, for example, allows people (including you) to subscribe to your blog’s RSS feed. On the day you create your blog, you can subscribe to it via a free MyYahoo account and Yahoo will visit and index your blog for free. It has no choice.
---

DUH. It's so obvious (now that John has explained it.) Subscribing to your own feed causes the engines to seek out your site -- aggravatingly simple. It almost makes me think I need a blog coach. John has several more words of wisdom to share with you -- take a look at the most recent issue of his Marketing Tips newsletter.

I've got to go now -- I have some RSS feeds to which I need to subscribe... My own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


470 170


DON the IDEA GUY

The Idea Department | PO Box 26392 | Columbus, OH 43226 | Phone/Fax (614) 340-7910
me@dontheideaguy.com