640 pixels wide

spare

    


Home | MyBrainBlog | Ideas | Insight | Inspiration | Innovation | ThinkLinks | DTIG



Friday, January 28, 2005

Thinking Outside of
"Outside The Box"

Where do we go now that everyone is outside the box?
Joyce Wycoff wants to replace the box in the tired old saying about how to come up with ideas that aren't old and tired. She's even holding a survey and contest to give the old saw some new teeth.

Although I didn't think much of most of the selection available on the survey, I did manage to find one to select (since it was required to complete the survey) before adding my own two suggestions to the growing collection.

The one I've been using for several years is: "Blow the box to bits!" This allows comfortable familiarity with the "think outside the box" meme, but 'explosively' describes that simply being outside the box isn't enough.

My second (and less violent) suggestion was "Beyond The Box". A little less dramatic, but a little more poetic. In my opinion, it has the ring of choosing "the road less traveled" -- a subtle suggestion to avoid 'boxes' altogether.

Joyce is announcing results next week, so you have a little (very little!) time left to add your own suggestions to help choose a new creative-thinking cliche... which, when you think about it -- is the antithesis of being creative!

Joyce Wycoff is co-founder of the InnovationNetwork and author of the "Good Morning Thinkers!" blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter; said...

Yeah I found that wacky too.. I did not like any of her choice's and it would not permit me to continue ..so I discountinued..

Go figure ..she lost out one 1 mindset !!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous; said...

Another take on thinking outside the box:

"Do not try to think outside the box. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. There is no box."
-- unknown

Maybe 'thinking outside the box' could be described as 'proto truthing'.

cal

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


470 170


DON the IDEA GUY

The Idea Department | PO Box 26392 | Columbus, OH 43226 | Phone/Fax (614) 340-7910
me@dontheideaguy.com